Saturday, November 22, 2008

Soccer and School Sports

As many of you know, Jake and Shaye both play soccer. This year was very different for us with both kids on the "Columbia" school teams. Jake played for the second year at the Freshman level and Shaye played for the first time at the Modified level (which is for 7th and 8th graders). So, instead of Steve or I jockeying schedules and separate cars, they each went straight to practice after school. This has been great because it cuts down on our chauffer time and the kids schedules are more under control. But, as always there is more. Shaye will continue to play on the Travel League soccer team through the winter that is nighttime and weekend practices and games.
Jake went out for a completely new winter sport and is on the Wrestling team. I will save the story of our skinny boy coming home his first week of practices to tell me he had to LOOSE weight for another time. There will be lots of wrestling stories, I'm sure. Bottom line though, he moves into his next sport through school, goes directly to practice from school and we pick him up on our way home from work and not the extra driving that comes with winter travel soccer.


To end the school soccer season, Shaye was one of two girls on her modified team recognized individually. Shaye was awarded the "Overall Team Player" award and as part of the celebration was awarded sew-on patches indicating her graduating class year - 2014. Jake was unable to go to his end of season banquet because he had three major homework projects due the next day BUT, I had to go because I was asked to help serve at the banquet. Some days seem they just don't have an end but Steve and I couldn't be more proud of both of them.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

What great pictures. I can't get over how much the kids grow every year. They really are little adults. I hope that ya'll get to come down this spring. I hate just seeing you once a year!

Patti said...

The kids look great! I agree with Leslie, they grow so much from year to year. I especially miss my family this time of year and wish we all lived closer. Have a great Thanksgiving. Looking forward to the wresting and winter soccer stories.